This post summarizes suggestions I wrote in an email to a student to help him writing a review of a conference paper. _DP
The review should contain these points:
– Description of the paper contribution.
– Description of the paper relevance. Is the paper dealing with an important problem. Is it providing important improvements.
– How the paper is placed with respect to the relevant literature in the field ?
– A part on how the paper is organized and written.
– A part on how to improve the paper if it is needed.
– At a certain point you will ask to yourself to decide for the paper. Ask yourself this question: If you had been the author, would you have written this paper?
– Be constructive in writing the review. Authors like to find comments on how to improve the paper.
A few suggestions on the writing tools
– avoid using MS word. Plain text is always better for a review. Learn to use LaTeX if you do not know is good investment for science. Learn to use an editor for text writing.
– Use short-paragraph titles to write the review and not only. By looking at the titles will you have a clear idea of the document you are writing
– On writing. Keep it simple. Do not try to write involved and long paragraphs at least at beginning. Try to avoid errors